Monday, November 24, 2014

A portrait of a Music Major.

Her name is Kearstin Horn and she loves music.


        She started off as a kid playing music with her late grandfather who was a guitar player in a band. In high school she was in concert choir her freshmen year and sophomore through senior year she was in chorale, show choir, and barber shop, Kearstin also received a varsity letter jacket from performing.
       Although she has transferred out of Owens community college to the University of Toledo where she is a Music education major, to be a music theory teacher to college students, she also Minor's in theater. While still at UT she still helps with the Owens choir.
      Kearstin was also apart of one of her favorite musicals Les Miserables several times saying "It's the best musical ever". This musical is how she got interested in theater. Now, she is into Wicked the Musical, and wants to be Elphaba and perform "Defying Gravity".
    While at Owens she learned basic music skills such as theory, aural skills, piano, and voice. Saying Dr Dunn " Really really helped me getting my basics piano skills down, that I had no idea what I was even doing". and Denise Gupp-Verbon"who helped me get the fundamentals down, which is the beginning of knowing how to identify music, because I had no idea. It really benefited me when I got into theory. A huge special thanks goes out to Jodi Jobuck and JoAnne Chyrschoos for making my voice stronger and helping me find my inner opera woman! I couldn't have done it without them, I wouldn't be where I am today."
      Kearstin's plan's on getting her bachelors in Music education and maybe her master's "Feels like I been in school since I was five, it just hasn't stopped. I've been in school for almost 20 years, I'm kinda over it". Wanting to have a bachelors degree, Kearstin plans on getting solid job then maybe return for her master's in Music education.
    As for recommending the music program at Owens to anyone Kearstin says " Way back when in a galaxy far far away, there was a great music program here, there was a lot of dedication, and a lot of people. I have learned everything I needed to know to get started in my career of music. I had the top notch voice teachers, fundamentals and music theory teacher, and piano teacher here at Owens. Despite the low enrollment rate going on, we still have an amazing music staff that works very hard to keep the program going. We just need more people to sign up and keep music alive! Thats how it should be. LET MUSIC LIVE!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment